Empathy by Design is an experiential online program for individuals motivated to lead a team or organization, with or without authority, through the difficult process of change or innovation. We call such individuals meta-designers.
Deadline for sign up has passed. Enter your email below to be notified when our next sign up goes live.
- Introduced change into your organization, only to see people resist or revert back to how they used to work?
- Lead a team, where nobody did the right thing well unless (or even after) you told them what to do and how?
- Been hired for your expertise only to have your expertise be ignored or disrespected by your colleague, client, or boss?
- Experienced (silent) conflict with your co-worker that left you feeling hopeless, isolated, or undermined?
Have you ever...
If so, you may be tempted to blame the other people. At the same time, these are well-known symptoms of a lack of psychological safety, stability, or security in the relationship or organization.
We believe that the key to effective change, leadership, influence, and collaboration lies first and foremost in our ability to develop a sense of psychological safety, stability, and security in ourselves, our relationships, and our organizations.
We not only fail to develop, but also unintentionally remove a sense of psychological safety, stability, and security in our relationships or organizations when we do not communicate, interact, or converse in ways that are perceived by others as “empathic.” This is especially so when working across cultures and disciplines or when there is emotional tension or power differential in the relationship or organization.
This program will challenge you to level up by changing your behaviors instead of expecting or telling others to change, especially in the face of emotional stress or tension.
- Custom fit: Unlike programs that focus on delivering pre-planned content, we will customize the program to your own personal intention, purpose, and vision for your context.
- Immersive: Unlike programs that focus on providing passive videos, slides, or reading materials, we will provide live experiential learning through activities, observations, reflections, and actions.
- Socially supported: Unlike programs that focus on solo learning, we will provide greater support by pairing you up with a peer coaching and accountability buddy as well as opportunities to receive feedback and support from small groups.
- Integrative: Many people have trouble applying what they learned during workshops into their day-to-day. If you opt for a professional coach, the coach will help you apply and integrate what you've learned into your day-to-day.
- Structured by 14 weekly online meetings. (No travel required)
- Driven by your own personal intention, purpose, and vision.
- Evolved by a set of continuously self-initiated projects.
- Punctuated by 3 surprise challenges. (One every 4 weeks).
- Guided by the observation-reflection-action loop.
- Supported by a peer coach and an optional professional coach.
Your experience of the program will be...
realizing empathy will prove valuable when...
All innovation processes give rise to challenging interpersonal dynamics like misunderstandings, blame, contempt, loneliness, anxiety, lack of influence, or shame. You are not alone. Learn to leverage them as sources of insight and innovation by realizing empathy.
Focus on Empathy
This program is being offered at a time when you’re hearing a lot about the word empathy. They say that empathy is “important.” But you’re wondering “How so? How does it work? What are its limits? How do I apply it? Is it something I can actually work on?” This program will help you and your fellow participants work together to find the answer to all those questions and more. Most importantly, you will get to tailor the answers to your situation.
The tuition for the basic program is USD 1400 per person.
The tuition for the basic plus program, which adds professional 1-on-1 coaching to the experience, is USD 3600 per person.
In many cases, your company will reimburse you if you ask the HR department.